The use of benzoyl peroxide for acne treatment is very common. Benzoyl peroxide (BPO) is present in 90% of prescriptions, mainly in patients suffering from papular pustular acne or cystic acne.
Due to its excellent exfoliating, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, this medication is ideal for on the spot treatments, directly on the lesion. For this type of treatment you should use benzoyl peroxide gel.
People prone to acne often require preventive treatment. Frequent use of a benzoyl peroxide face wash reduces the oil in the skin, unclogs the pores and eliminates the bacteria that cause acne.
Benefits of the benzoyl peroxide for acne treatments
- Exfoliating: Removes dead skin cells, favoring the replacement of it.
- Keratolytic: Cleans and unclogs the pores of dead cells rich in keratins, causing the formation of comedones.
- Lipophilic: By penetrating the pilosebaceous unit, it reduces the production of bait by the sebaceous glands.
- Antibacterial: It is a broad spectrum antibacterial, which eliminates Corynebacterium acnes, one of the causes of acne outbreaks.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reduces the inflammation of pimples.
Benzoyl Peroxide Products
There is a wide range of products to choose from, some of which are well-known brands such as Neutrogena, Perrigo or Humane. But all have one thing in common: their main ingredient is benzoyl peroxide, only the concentrations and the presentation vary.
Laboratories sell products as gel, cream, foam or lotion, but always in concentrations of 2.5, 5 or 10%. The 10 % is the maximum concentration that can be bought without a prescription. It should only be used in normal or oily skin and under no circumstances should it be used on dry or sensitive skin.
Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% Gel
The 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel is very slight. Its use is recommended for people with sensitive skin or mild acne. It is also recommended for use in teenagers who have never used the product to minimize the use of chemicals on young skin.
- .75-ounce tube of Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne Treatment with benzoyl peroxide to fight acne
- Lightweight acne treatment absorbs quickly with no burning and won't dry out skin
- On-The-Spot treatment is clinically proven to be so effective that skin starts getting clearer on day 1 to give long-lasting acne treatment without over-drying or burning skin.
- The formula goes deep down into pores to kill acne bacteria that cause pimples and helps stop new ones from forming.
- This acne treatment is formulated with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide acne medicine, to help treat and prevent acne
Benzoyl Peroxide 5% Gel
5 % Benzoyl Peroxide gel is use in moderate and severe acne.It can be applied in face, shoulders,chest and back.
- Acne Treatment
- 5% Benzoyl Peroxide
- 90gm Tube
- Clear Skin
Benzoyl Peroxide 10% Gel
Benzoyl Peroxide 10% should not be use in face.It is recommended in moderate and severe acne.
- 1-ounce tube of Clean & Clear Persa-Gel 10 Acne Medication with 10% Benzoyl Peroxide to help effectively treat pimples and prevent future breakouts
- Acne spot treatment contains 10% benzoyl peroxide and goes to work quickly by targeting the source of where breakouts begin
- Features the same acne formula prescribed by doctors for 10+ years without a prescription and provides clearer looking skin by releasing benzoyl peroxide deep down where pimples begin
- Prescription-strength topical pimple medication goes to work quickly to treat and clear pimples, and help prevent blemishes from forming for clearer looking skin
How to use Benzoyl Peroxide Gel
Apply the benxoyl peroxide gel directly on the lesion. This should be done gently without rubbing it and avoiding contact with healthy skin. Its frequency of use is only once a day, always before sleep.
note: Before you start using benzoyl peroxide you should make sure that you are not allergic. To do this apply a small amount on your wrist or behind the ear. It is normal that it stings a little and your skin turns pink. They are normal effects in benzoyl peroxide and they vary depending on the concentration. If after 30 minutes these symptoms are maintained or exacerbated, do not use the product.
Benzoyl peroxide 2.5% Wash
Benzoyl peroxide 5% Wash
Benzoyl peroxide 10% Wash
How to use Benzoyl Peroxide Face wash
Another advantage of this Acne face & body wash and all products containing benzoyl peroxide is that they kill the bacteria deep in the pores, reduce oil and sebum on the skin. This gel not only clean the skin, but clear acne an prevent future outbreaks. In this short video you will see how to use Humane Benzoyl Peroxide 10%.
- Before using acne wash, moisten the skin.
- Apply a uniform layer on the wet skin and let it act for at least a minute.
- If you have oily skin and can tolerate the normal stinging sensation that benzoyl peroxide causes when cleaning, let it work for 3 to 5 minutes for a better result.
- After this time rinse the skin abundantly, avoiding that the humane acne wash does not make contact with the eyes or hair.
- the following would be to apply a moisturizer without oil.
- If you are going to be exposed to the sun do not forget to apply a sunscreen of your choice.
A good option would be the cetaphil dermacontrol SPF 30, with excellent moisturizing properties and broad spectrum protection.
Benzoyl Peroxide Side Effects and Contraindications.
Side effects such as peeling, itching, irritation and redness of the skin usually occur when using benzoyl peroxide. . The appearance of these side effects depend on the concentration and the frequency used. If you have any of these symptoms, you should reduce the frequency of your application and even decrease your concentration.
Hypersensitivity: BPO should not be used in patients who have shown hypersensitivity to benzoyl peroxide or to any of the other ingredients in the products.
Vitamin C products: In conjunction with products derived from vitamin C, their properties cancel each other when applied at the same time.
Beaching power: Being a peroxide, as is the hydrogen peroxide used in hair discolorations, so it is recommended to avoid contact with clothing and fabrics, as this can discolor them.